Updated on July 7th, 2023
By Brad Nakase, Attorney
Email | Call (888) 600-8654
I’m a car accident lawyer in San Diego. On June 17, 2023, a young driver raced his car at nearly 90 mph down Miramar Blvd in San Diego. I was driving my wife and two daughters to Father’s Day dinner, and suddenly, the young driver lost control of his car and smashed into my truck. A dozen witnesses called the San Diego police and reported the car accident. A witness approached me and said it was a horrific truck accident because the young driver’s car skidded over 200 feet without wheels. This photograph shows the young driver’s sports car after he crashed into my truck. My story goes to show a car crash can happen to anyone at anytime, even a San Diego car accident lawyer.
Immediately after the car accident, I checked to see if my wife and two daughters were okay. My wife and children were visibly shocked by the high-speed car crashing into our truck. Upon determining they were okay, I looked outside the windows to determine if it was safe for me to exit my truck. The car accident with our truck upended our family’s summer travel plans because of a personal injury to my neck and back from the car accident. NBC News has reported that street racing causing car accidents has increased in San Diego. This photograph shows the damage to my truck after the young driver’s car smashed into my truck.
I can understand your situation after your car accident. You’re in pain, your car is damaged, and you don’t know what to do. I’m available for a free consultation to protect your rights by getting you the money you deserve.
How can a San Diego car accident lawyer assist victims of crashes?
If an individual finds themselves seriously injured in a car wreck, or if they tragically lose a loved one in a car accident, they should not have to spend their time battling an insurance company over financial compensation. Due to the stress and pain involved in recovering from a car accident, a victim may be tempted to accept the first offer they receive from the insurer, who will undoubtedly try to lowball them. In fact, the amount the insurance company offers will be far less than what the victim needs to cover medical costs and lost wages.
A San Diego personal injury lawyer who has experience in car accidents can help a victim recover the damages they deserve. Whatever manner of car accident is involved in the case, be it a rollover crash, truck accident, or any other kind of collision, a car accident lawyer can act in the victim’s best interests. Nakase Wade, with offices in San Diego, will manage their client’s legal needs so that they can focus on recovering and being with their family at such a trying time.
A San Diego personal injury lawyer, such as those at Nakase Wade, typically deal with car accident cases involving the following:
- Truck accidents
- SUV rollovers
- Car accidents caused by drunk drivers
- Motorcycle accidents
- Car accidents caused by bad road design
- Car accidents caused by negligent road construction
- Car accidents involving pedestrians, bicyclists, or skateboarders
If an individual has the misfortune of being involved in a car accident, they should contact a car accident lawyer in San Diego to learn what to do next. From the outset, a client will receive help with recovering mentally, physically, and financially.
When Should I Hire A Car Accident Attorney?
Many people think they can handle minor car accident claims by themselves. In some cases, the insurance claim is very straightforward, and there are minor damages. However, even minor claims need legal help to ensure adequate compensation. Insurance companies often offer lower settlements than necessary for a full recovery. Before accepting an insurance offer, always consult a car accident lawyer.
Here are some steps to follow to help the insurance claim process go a little more smoothly:
- Speak to a car accident lawyer in San Diego right away. Please bring your insurance policy information to your consultation so they can examine them.
- Notify your insurance company of the car accident and request a list of the necessary documents. Please do not go into details about the car accident or discuss anything more than what they need. Often they will need medical bills, car repair bills, and a police report.
- Ask for a timeline of when they need this paperwork.
- Write down the details of every conversation you have with your insurance company. Take down the name of the agent and their direct phone number. If they have an agent number or department, ask for that too. Also, take note of the discussion you had.
Call 619-550-1321 today to book your free consultation with a San Diego car accident lawyer.
What To Do After A Car Accident?
Car crashes in San Diego often come out of the blue. One moment we are driving to work; the next, our lives have changed. There are a few things you can do after a car accident injury to assist your health and your car crash case.
- Seek Medical Attention. Check on everyone who was in the car accident. If anyone is badly injured, then call an ambulance. If you are not severely injured, go to the emergency room in San Diego immediately after leaving the accident site. Adrenalin can often mask your injuries, so if you feel fine, head to the emergency room for a check-up. This will also help your case as insurance companies will try to claim your injuries were not from the accident.
- Call The Police. Ensure the San Diego police attend the car accident scene and write a police report. Take down the attending officer’s details and badge numbers so you can track them down. Your car accident lawyer will need a copy of this for proof of the accident.
- Gather Evidence. Write down the contact numbers of everyone involved in the car accident and witnesses. For witnesses, a name and contact number are fine. Get other drivers’ names, addresses, insurance information, and license numbers. Photographs are beneficial as evidence. Take photos of the crash site, the damage to the vehicles, and your injuries. Be sure to take wide shots of the entire scene and close-ups of the car damage. These photographs might be used as evidence in court.
- Do Not Talk About The Accident. It would be best if you did not discuss the accident with anyone except the police. Even then, do not admit liability. The police may charge you, or the insurance agents may hear and damage your case.
- Call A San Diego Car Accident Lawyer. Book a free consultation with Nakase Law Firm’s car accident attorneys to discuss your case. We have handled thousands of San Diego car accident cases and have the expertise for a quick and successful result.
Make Notes As Soon As Possible
Please note what you remember from the car accident immediately. It is easy to forget little details, especially if the case drags on. By making notes, you can refer back to them and jog your memory.
- What was your destination when the car accident occurred? Who were you with?
- What was the road like? Was it sunny, raining, or was there horrible traffic?
- Did you notice anyone driving strangely? Or any signs that were fallen?
- What did you experience or see when and immediately after the accident? Did anyone say anything about the accident that sounded strange?
Also, keeping a daily journal about your injuries can be helpful. Talk about your wounds, your pain, and your mental state. Is your recovery going well? What have the doctors told you? Are you struggling to sleep, feeling depressed, or in constant pain?
Another thing to document is any memories of the accident or conversations with doctors about your injuries: the more information you can write, the better.
What Should I Do If I Have Injuries From A Car Accident?
All car accidents can cause injuries, even low-speed or minor ones. Even if you don’t need ambulance transport to the hospital, seek immediate medical care. Not only will seeing a doctor immediately help your health, but it will also help your case. The adrenaline following an accident can cover devastating injuries. Also, the longer you wait between the car accident and seeing a doctor, the harder it is to prove your injuries are from the crash.
Rear-end car collisions can cause whiplash in many people. Many see whiplash as a minor injury that can cause chronic pain and headaches. Often lengthy rehabilitation is necessary to treat bad cases.
Side-impact auto collisions can cause brain injuries from passengers and drivers’ heads hitting the window. Brain injuries can cause long-term deficiency and struggle. Other common injuries in side-impact car accidents are soft tissue damage and muscle and ligament strains. Our car accident lawyers want you to recover fully, so they will insist you seek medical attention.
Who Is At Fault In A Car Crash?
If this is your first car accident, you should learn how to get compensation for your injuries. The majority of car accidents in San Diego happen because of driver errors. In California, the responsible party must pay for damages to others in the accident. First, your car accident lawyer must prove four elements to determine liability.
- Duty – Your car accident attorney must show that the driver owed you a duty of care. Under the law, all drivers must drive safely and with respect for those around them.
- Breach of duty – If a reasonable person would have known their actions could cause an accident, then the driver is considered negligent. This takes into account what information the driver had to react to.
- Causation – The car accident attorney must show their client’s damages are due to the accident. This, in turn, means that the driver’s negligence caused the injuries and property damage.
- Damages – Your car accident lawyer will present proof of your monetary losses. This may be in medical bills, car repair bills, and rental car receipts.
Common Mistakes After A Car Accident?
Here are the most common mistakes our car injury attorneys in San Diego litigated:
- Not keeping your car accident lawyer up to speed
- Delaying seeking medical attention
- Not following the doctor’s orders
- Going back to work too quickly
- Downplaying injuries
- Not hiring a car accident attorney
- Withholding information for your car accident lawyer
- Discussing your case with others
- Posting about your car accident or injuries online
- Talking to the insurance company
Any of these things can reduce your compensation. Making these mistakes can have devastating consequences for your case. It is essential to hire a car accident lawyer as soon as possible so they can tell you what not to do. Book a free consultation with Nakase Law Firm’s San Diego car accident lawyers. We will walk you through your case step by step and clarify everything.
What Are The Common Causes of San Diego Car Accidents?
Many things cause car accidents in San Diego, but the most common factor is driver error. If a mistake causes a car accident, it is called negligence. If someone did not act reasonably, resulting in injury, that is negligence.
Distracted drivers often cause San Diego car accidents. Distractions include talking on the phone, texting, eating, or being too tired to focus. Faulty parts, inclement weather, or poor road conditions often cause car accidents. No matter the cause of your accident, a car accident lawyer will help you recover costs.
- Driver Negligence is the cause of most car accidents in California. A driver makes a poor decision, like running a red light or making an illegal maneuver and causes a crash. DUI, speeding, and aggressive driving are all examples of negligence.
- Defective Parts – Sometimes, the people who manufactured or designed the vehicle are to blame for a crash. This includes defective airbags, brakes, tire blowouts, or rolling SUVs. The company can be held responsible if a faulty part caused the accident or your injuries.
- Poor Road Conditions – A government entity can be liable for an accident if the roads are poorly built or maintained. Claiming compensation from the government is a complex process that requires a car accident attorney.
Can I File A Car Accident Claim By Myself?
Technically yes, but we wouldn’t advise it. Dealing with insurance companies by yourself is a monumental task. Insurance companies are out to twist your words against you to reduce your settlement. Speaking to a San Diego car accident lawyer will mean fair compensation that covers your expenses. Here are some common problems people face when they don’t have a car accident lawyer.
- Car accident victims believe the insurance company is on their side. The insurance agents seem sympathetic, and we pay them, so they must have our best interests at heart. However, insurance companies are a business only to maximize their profit.
- Car accident victims not knowing the value of their claim. Most people do not know their rights following a car accident. They often do not know how much they can claim for their injuries and expenses. Insurance companies take advantage of this and offer a sizable settlement but one that does not cover their costs. It would be best to ask your doctor about your short-term and long-term medical care costs. Please bring them to a free consultation with a car accident lawyer to discuss your compensation. Do not accept an insurance company’s offer without speaking to a car accident attorney.
- Assuming they will not need to go to trial. In the past, most car accident cases were settled without requiring a lawsuit. Now, almost all car crash cases require a lawsuit. Many will still settle before trial, but you must pay court fees and find a lawyer. Car accident lawyers prepare every case as if it is going to try. They will have evidence and experts prepared from the very start.
Call A San Diego Car Accident Lawyer
Attorney Brad Nakase cares about his clients’ health and well-being. We do it because we care deeply about those affected by the trauma of a car accident. As San Diego residents, we see car crashes and the pain they cause every day. We want to bring negligent drivers to justice and keep our roads safe. Most of all, we want to help you recover from your injuries without financial stress. Contact attorney Brad Nakase today to book a free consultation with a car accident lawyer.
Most recent blogs:
Contact our attorney.